Using xhtml strict or html5 for the web gui ?

Alf Høgemark alf at i100.no
Tue Feb 11 19:26:22 CET 2014

Hi

I was trying to validate the html pages of the web GUI of Ipfire.
Although having pages that passes a validator is not absolutely
requried, I think it makes styling easier, and it makes
good sense to make sure table cells and rows are properly closed etc
etc. It is a kind of indicator of code quality.

I then noticed that the ipfire web GUI is using the doctype for xhtml
strict.

But the actual html itself seems to be a bit old style, with lots of
align, valign attributes on tags, which will not validate
as xhtml, even if all the tags are properly closed.

Have you considered going for "html5" doctype ?
Using html5, I think it would require a lot less cleanup to make the
pages validate.

And when a page validates, it makes it easier to test the page using a
validator after you make code changes, to make sure it still validates.

Regards
Alf Høgemark