Nano: Move nano editor from packages to core system - new issue

Michael Tremer michael.tremer at ipfire.org
Thu Apr 28 18:09:52 UTC 2022

Hello Jon,

This is a little bit of a dilemma now.

So, there is only one tree for packages. I normally take all packages from the latest build and publish those. However, I do not manually delete packages because that rarely happens that we remove something. And if we do so, we normally remove something that is not used by anyone.

With nano, I could now just remove the package from the server, but then nobody who has not yet updated to the latest release can install it any more. If I leave it on the server, people can install it, and then uninstall it. After that, they won’t have nano any more.

I would therefore like to leave it on the server for a little bit longer, because although the second option has the disadvantage that people might uninstall it, they can simply re-install it again.

If we remove it in a couple of weeks, then that should be fine. People should upgrade soon and we generally do not support older releases. However, the release is only a day ago, and we should give people a little time to upgrade :)

-Michael