[IPFire Announcement] IPFire 2.9 Core Update 51 released

The IPFire Project. ipfire-announce at lists.ipfire.org
Sat Aug 20 12:02:25 CEST 2011

This is the 51st update for the second series of the IPFire firewall
distribution.

Core Update 51 is addressing several security issues in the Linux kernel
as well as stability fixes, performance optimization and driver updates.

It is recommended to install this update as soon as possible and please
take notice that a reboot is required to complete the installation.

The update includes the latest Linux longterm kernel of the 2.6.32
series (2.6.32.45) and includes a lot of security fixes and driver
improvements (see below).

A couple of years ago, there have been problems with some TCP/IP options
so these options were disabled to cause less trouble. As technology has
developed, these options have now been re-enabled which improves the
network throughput a lot.

In the last minute, the kernel developers decided to change the
algorithm that is used to generate the TCP sequence numbers
(http://lwn.net/Articles/455135) from partial MD4 to MD5. Dan Kaminsky
pointed out that the MD4 random numbers are not really random enough at
all. The new algorithm improves security albeit not hitting performance
too much.

List of the updated drivers:
    * compat-wireless (2.6.38-3-ns)
    * e1000 (8.0.30)
    * e1000e (1.3.10a)
    * igb (3.0.19)
    * v4l-dvb (git20110427)
    * linux-firmware (20110518)
    * zd1211-firmware.

Altogether this update makes IPFire running on more recent hardware and
improves support for wireless interfaces.

We appreciate any contribution to this release (we had a lot of testers
this time). If you appreciate our work, please evaluate a donation.
http://www.ipfire.org/donation

For detailed information see the full changelog.
http://git.ipfire.org/?p=ipfire-2.x.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/core51

--
Michael Tremer <michael.tremer at ipfire.org>
IPFire.org