[IPFire Announcement] Major Release: IPFire 2.11 - Core 53

The IPFire Project. ipfire-announce at lists.ipfire.org
Wed Nov 2 16:42:08 CET 2011

It’s already been four years since IPFire 2 was released for the first
time. There has been huge progress until today, the release of version
2.11.

As in every single IPFire release we have made so far, there have been
updates that brought new features and despite of that kept the systems
always up to date.

The biggest new feature in the now released version 2.11 of IPFire is
the option to create net-to-net VPNs with OpenVPN. Until now, it was
only possible to use OpenVPN to create roadwarrior networks, but we kept
the easiness of configuring VPN tunnels by just sending configuration
archives in ZIP format. To learn how that is working, see the reworked
documentation on the wiki
(http://wiki.ipfire.org/en/configuration/services/openvpn) or go out and
buy the latest issue of LinuxUser (German Linux magazine) which is
available until 16th November 2011.

IPsec-VPNs do now support the IKEv2 protocol which allows a more secure,
faster and easier connection of the tunnels. It also is capable of
creating IPsec VPNs through Carrier NAT.

Additionally, there is a way to add static entries to the routing table.

In case you have seen the announcement in the last month, you know that
there is an ARM port of IPFire 2.11 available, which is still under
development and we are still searching for contributors.
http://www.ipfire.org/news/ipfire-2.11-available-on-arm

It would be great if you or your company would donate to support the
developers by self-financing the project.
http://www.ipfire.org/donation

List of changes:
   openvpn net2net gui
   strongswan 4.5.3 & ikev2 gui
   static-routing gui
   apache 2.2.21
   compat-wireless 3.0-2
   gcc 4.1.2
   glibc (rebuild with new gcc)
   gmp 4.2.4
   kvm-kmod 3.0b
   usb-modeswitch 1.1.9 & modeswitch data 20110805

For more information see the full changelog.
(http://git.ipfire.org/?p=ipfire-2.x.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/core53)

Michael on behalf of the IPFire Team