Crowd funding for the IPFire project

The IPFire Project ipfire-announce at lists.ipfire.org
Wed Nov 7 22:30:40 CET 2012

Dear Friends,

We’d like to formally introduce the IPFire Wishlist – The new IPFire
crowd funding platform. The wishlist is the IPFire crowd funding
platform where you can donate to help accelerate the development of your
favorite features.

What is this and why do we need it?

The IPFire project is an Open Source project. We don’t have any
companies that support us monetarily. We are only a team of people who
work voluntarily on the project. The project has grown and has a
significant infrastructure that is needed to run and maintain daily
operations. We also do developer summits to exchange new ideas and bring
the developers together, which is also expensive.

Unfortunately, the IPFire developers themselves are currently the only
ones putting money into the project. Donations, which have never been
enough to pay for the needed things, have declined in the last year.
These funds are essential and are used for various things such as paying
our hosting provider and upgrading hardware that is needed to build
ports to other architectures (such as ARM).

As IPFire has features commonly sought-after in large enterprises, we’d
speculate that more than a half of all IPFire installations are running
in companies across the globe. These companies would typically have to
pay a huge amount of money for a commercial solution that has the same
power and flexibility as IPFire. We bring you IPFire for free and that’s
okay with us!

How can I help?

Helping out is easy! Just head over to the wishlist and choose the wish
you would like to see implemented in the future. Hit the donate button
and donate the amount of money this feature is worth to you. After that,
tell all of your friends and collegues about it and encourage them to
promote your favorite wish as well. That’s it!

IPFire Wishlist: http://wishlist.ipfire.org