IPFire 2.17 - Core Update 89
The IPFire Project
ipfire-announce at lists.ipfire.org
Tue Apr 21 20:58:44 CEST 2015
This is the official release announcement of IPFire 2.17 – Core Update
89. This one comes with some new features, many updates of software
packages and various minor bug fixes.
OpenVPN Net-To-Net Statistics
Connection statistics of OpenVPN net-to-net connections are now
collected and graphed. They show incoming and outgoing traffic of the
VPN connections and compression ratios.
Dynamic DNS Updater
The dynamic DNS updater tool ddns has been massively extended:
* A database is used to track successful and failed updates. ddns will
automatically back-off when an update could not be performed and will
re-try after a longer time. nsupdate.info asked to never repeat any
updates after one has failed for any reason.
* New supported providers: changeip.com, ddnss.de, domains.google.com,
domopoli.de, dyns.cx|net, loopia.se, myonlineportal.net, xlhost.de,
* Token-based authentication is now supported for spdns.de
Support for easydns.com and zoneedit.com has been fixed which have
changed their update protocols.
* strato.de used to remove MX and backup MX records for every update.
Additional parameters of the update request have been added so that the
original settings are not changed any more.
* Handle badagent response for all DynDNS2 protocol-compatible
providers. ddns will respect if it has been blocked by the provider.
* Improve error handling for various responses from the provider's HTTP
daq 2.0.4, ethtool 3.16, fcron 3.2.0, file 5.20, fuse 2.9.3, gnupg
1.4.18, grep 2.21, hdparm 9.45, libart 2.3.21, libassuan 2.1.3, libcap
1.6.2, libevent 2.0.21-stable, libffi 3.2.1, libpcap 1.6.2, ntfs-3g
2014.2.15, pcre 8.36, screen 4.2.1, smartmontools 6.3, snort 18.104.22.168,
strongswan 5.2.2, sqlite 8.7.4, squid 3.4.9, tar 1.28, tzdata 2015a,
wget 1.16, zlib 1.2.8
dnsmasq has been updated to a recent version with various fixes for
DNSSEC and other bugs.
asterisk 11.15.0 + support for TLS and SRTP, clamav 0.98.6, NEW haproxy
1.5, htop 1.0.3, libdvbpsi 1.2.0, lynis 1.6.4, mc 4.8.13, NEW monit
5.11, miniupnpd 1.9, nginx 1.6.2, nmap 6.47, owncloud 7.0.3, samba
3.6.25, tcpdump 4.6.2
Feature Enhancements & Bug fixes
** Service groups are limited to 15 services per protocol. Due to a
defect in the web GUI it was possible to create groups with up to 16
services which has been fixed now.
** The remark of some firewall rules could not be removed when nothing
else was changed. This has been fixed as well.
** Fix setting rate-limiting rules. Those were not always applied
** Allow an IKE lifetime up to 24 hours.
** Allow setting an expiration time for net-to-net connection
** Let openssl pick the sources for entropy that are used to initialize
the random-number generator on its own.
* The backup functionality is robust against filenames including
* squid-accounting: #10693 (last month of year leads to error (no data
shown in webinterface))
* fireinfo: Improve finding the vendor/model of ARM
* Installer: Cut off too long harddisk description strings
There were many contributions to this Core Update by Matthias Fischer,
Dirk Wagner, Erik Kapfer, and Christoph Anderegg in addition to the
usual IPFire Core Developers. Thanks for that.
You can contribute as well or support the IPFire project with your
donation. Your help is a foundation of this project and very much
appreciated by all contributors. Maybe you can help funding a new
feature . We also do now accept donations in various currencies .
In other news
We would like to point you to some interesting articles on our
developer's blog. We find them an interesting read and they give some
more insights into the project. There is a RSS feed  which you can
subscribe to, or follow us on Twitter .
* The fairytale of the 'Internet of Things' 
* Introducing the IPFire Prime Box by Fountain Networks 
* Reinventing fireinfo 
* The IPFire Project joined the Open Invention Network 
More information about the IPFire-Announce