IPFire 2.21 - Core Update 126 released
The IPFire Project
ipfire-announce at lists.ipfire.org
Fri Dec 28 13:16:11 GMT 2018
Finally, the next release of IPFire is available: IPFire 2.21 - Core Update 126 This update comes with a new kernel and security enhancements. This change log is rather short, but the changes are very important.
Thank you very much to all of you who have supported our Donations Challenge  so far. We have received a lot of nice words and support from you, but we are not there, yet! Please support our project and donate!
The kernel has been updated to the latest version of the Linux 4.14.x branch which brings various improvements around stability, enhances performance and fixes some security vulnerabilities. This kernel also has major updates for the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities that remove previously existent performance penalties in some use-cases.
The kernel's modules are now compressed with the XZ algorithm which will save some space on disk as the kernel is one of the largest components of IPFire.
* openssl has been updated to 1.1.0j and 1.0.2q which fixes some minor security issues and has various bug fixes
* The bind package has now changed to ship shared libraries which it did not before. Those allow that commands like dig and host use those shared libraries and are no longer statically linked. This makes the files a lot smaller.
* Stéphane Pautrel has substantially improved the French translation of IPFire. Thank you very much for that!
* Updated packages: bird 2.0.2, nano 3.2
* New packages: shairport-sync
Thanks for the people who contributed to this Core Update. Please support us and donate!
More information about the IPFire-Announce