[IPFire Artwork] Moving the website relaunch forward...

Maurice Gesswein maurice.gesswein at ipfire.org
Tue Nov 14 23:25:38 CET 2017


Hi,

Michael, I totally understand your point of view to launch something
finally. To reach your very tight goal this is my suggestion how to proceed:

   1. Keep the content as it is.
   2. Use the new text formatting - sizes, lineheights and colors.
   3. Make sure content doesn't overlap the main navigation anymore.
   4. Fix the layouts at all viewports (e.g.
   http://dev.ipfire.org/get-involved)
   5. Fix the display errors at the burger menu and the glitches during
   browser resizing.

4 & 5 are not blockers. It's always possible to read the content, but these
are heavy visual bugs which cast a damning light on the whole experience
IMHO. I'm sure Sven is already aware of that.

I already slowly continued with the designs. Due to the new situation I'll
provide kind of generic layout and simple rules which can be used for all
current missing pages. Just to have something at launch which doesn't look
completely unfinished.

After launch I'ld like to continue finishing the website and all their
pages before we move to the WUI. Starting with the optimized donation page.
Than the rest and fixing 90% of the bugs to provide a professional
experience for the users.


What do you think? Any concerns? Further suggestions? Let me know.

Best, Maurice

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Michael Tremer <michael.tremer at ipfire.org>
wrote:

> Hello *,
>
> I would like to pick up the conversation on this list again as I just had
> some
> one-to-one emails between Sven and me and I of course don't want to exclude
> anyone.
>
> I asked Sven if we would be able to finish the website relaunch by the end
> of
> November so that we can launch this before Christmas and get it off of our
> tables. This seems to be fairly tight now, but he agreed that we should
> try it
> and see how close we can get to that deadline.
>
> However, there is still a lot to do. It looks like a lot, but it does not
> seem
> to be the most difficult since the base layout is already there and the
> remaining pages are just simple or do not need to be too well styled
> because
> they are just for internal use. We can always refine things later, because
> this
> is not a drop and then leave kind of situation, but a work in progress...
>
> So what is left to do?
>
> The main page seems to be okay for me. I think Sven agreed on this but has
> some
> minor things which I think we could possibly even fix later.
>
> The features page is also done.
>
> Then there is many pages where the design does not exist for.
> Unfortunately we
> can only launch everything or nothing so that we at least need to migrate
> them
> to Bootstrap 4 and implement a new design later if we cannot do now.
>
> There are on the main page:
>
> http://dev.ipfire.org/imprint
> http://dev.ipfire.org/chat
>
> For these I need some better ideas for structuring the content. They seem
> quite
> redundant: http://dev.ipfire.org/get-support, http://dev.ipfire.org/get-
> involved
>
> The error pages need to be fixed: http://dev.ipfire.org/404
>
> There will be some bigger updates for the donation page which I will put
> in an
> extra email (http://dev.ipfire.org/donate).
>
> Then we go the http://planet.dev.ipfire.org/, http://downloads.dev.ipfire.
> org/,
> http://fireinfo.dev.ipfire.org/, http://mirrors.dev.ipfire.org/,
> http://nopaste.
> dev.ipfire.org/, http://geoip.dev.ipfire.org/ which are all public.
>
> And then we got http://talk.dev.ipfire.org & http://admin.dev.ipfire.org/
> which
> are only for members to log in and therefore not really a priority, but
> they
> must work so that we can post on the planet.
>
> All in all this looks like a lot, but all those domains have basically two
> pages
> and loads of stuff can obviously be re-used so I don't think this is too
> much
> work.
>
> Maurice, do you have the time right now to design the remaining things?
>
> Can I be of any help to implement this?
>
> -Michael
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.ipfire.org/pipermail/ipfire-artwork/attachments/20171114/52cfeb6c/attachment.html>


More information about the IPFire-Artwork mailing list