[IPFire Artwork] Moving the website relaunch forward...

Michael Tremer michael.tremer at ipfire.org
Tue Nov 14 23:44:03 CET 2017


Hi,

thanks for getting back so quickly :)

On Tue, 2017-11-14 at 23:25 +0100, Maurice Gesswein wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> Michael, I totally understand your point of view to launch something finally.

Yes :)

> To reach your very tight goal this is my suggestion how to proceed:

To be honest this wasn't really supposed to be a hard deadline and I
actually had that thought about two weeks ago, but didn't find the time
to write a proper email until today. So this is indeed really tight,
but I thought it would be better to suggest end of November because
December is usually full with loads of other things and I tend to not
plan much in there.

> Keep the content as it is.
> Use the new text formatting - sizes, lineheights and colors.

Yeah, this will sort of happen automatically because it is all the same
CSS...

> Make sure content doesn't overlap the main navigation anymore.

That is more a thing that is caused by that those pages haven't been
mirgated to the new Bootstrap, yet.

> Fix the layouts at all viewports (e.g. http://dev.ipfire.org/get-involved)

Okay.

> Fix the display errors at the burger menu and the glitches during browser resizing.

Yes, we have bugs for that.

> 4 & 5 are not blockers. It's always possible to read the content, but these are heavy visual bugs which cast a damning light on the whole experience IMHO. I'm sure Sven is already aware of that.

Oh, yeah clearly we cannot ship it like this :)

> I already slowly continued with the designs. Due to the new situation I'll provide kind of generic layout and simple rules which can be used for all current missing pages. Just to have something at launch which doesn't look completely unfinished.

Okay, I think that will do with the exception of maybe the fireinfo
profile pages that have a little bit more content showing.

> After launch I'ld like to continue finishing the website and all their pages before we move to the WUI. Starting with the optimized donation page. Than the rest and fixing 90% of the bugs to provide a professional experience for the users.

I was hoping we can get the donation page designed as soon as possible.
Depending on how far we get we can decide if we ship it or not, but
ideally I do not want to wait until next year until we roll that out.

> 
> What do you think? Any concerns? Further suggestions? Let me know.
> 
> Best, Maurice

-Michael

> 
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Michael Tremer <michael.tremer at ipfire.org> wrote:
> > Hello *,
> > 
> > I would like to pick up the conversation on this list again as I just had some
> > one-to-one emails between Sven and me and I of course don't want to exclude
> > anyone.
> > 
> > I asked Sven if we would be able to finish the website relaunch by the end of
> > November so that we can launch this before Christmas and get it off of our
> > tables. This seems to be fairly tight now, but he agreed that we should try it
> > and see how close we can get to that deadline.
> > 
> > However, there is still a lot to do. It looks like a lot, but it does not seem
> > to be the most difficult since the base layout is already there and the
> > remaining pages are just simple or do not need to be too well styled because
> > they are just for internal use. We can always refine things later, because this
> > is not a drop and then leave kind of situation, but a work in progress...
> > 
> > So what is left to do?
> > 
> > The main page seems to be okay for me. I think Sven agreed on this but has some
> > minor things which I think we could possibly even fix later.
> > 
> > The features page is also done.
> > 
> > Then there is many pages where the design does not exist for. Unfortunately we
> > can only launch everything or nothing so that we at least need to migrate them
> > to Bootstrap 4 and implement a new design later if we cannot do now.
> > 
> > There are on the main page:
> > 
> > http://dev.ipfire.org/imprint
> > http://dev.ipfire.org/chat
> > 
> > For these I need some better ideas for structuring the content. They seem quite
> > redundant: http://dev.ipfire.org/get-support, http://dev.ipfire.org/get-involved
> > 
> > The error pages need to be fixed: http://dev.ipfire.org/404
> > 
> > There will be some bigger updates for the donation page which I will put in an
> > extra email (http://dev.ipfire.org/donate).
> > 
> > Then we go the http://planet.dev.ipfire.org/, http://downloads.dev.ipfire.org/,
> > http://fireinfo.dev.ipfire.org/, http://mirrors.dev.ipfire.org/, http://nopaste.
> > dev.ipfire.org/, http://geoip.dev.ipfire.org/ which are all public.
> > 
> > And then we got http://talk.dev.ipfire.org & http://admin.dev.ipfire.org/ which
> > are only for members to log in and therefore not really a priority, but they
> > must work so that we can post on the planet.
> > 
> > All in all this looks like a lot, but all those domains have basically two pages
> > and loads of stuff can obviously be re-used so I don't think this is too much
> > work.
> > 
> > Maurice, do you have the time right now to design the remaining things?
> > 
> > Can I be of any help to implement this?
> > 
> > -Michael
> 
> 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
URL: <https://lists.ipfire.org/pipermail/ipfire-artwork/attachments/20171114/1ff41f36/attachment-0001.sig>


More information about the IPFire-Artwork mailing list