[IPFire Artwork] New bootstrap skin

Maurice Gesswein maurice.gesswein at ipfire.org
Tue Feb 19 23:36:11 GMT 2019

Hi Rachid,

OK, cool. Sounds promising. Let's check out some limitations and
possibilities so that I don't design things which are hard to implement or
difficult to change at the AdminLTE Theme. As well as some questions.

Questions (just to be sure ;) ):

   1. AdminLTE is based on Bootstrap 3 with the default Grid System/Layout?
   2. The Navigation-Panel at the left hand side (<aside> in the code)
   lives outside of the grid, isn't it? So it doesn't take e.g. 2 of 12 cols
   and 10 cols are left for the "content-wrapper"?
   3. Using display:flex and/or display:grid to e.g. align things easily
   vertically within a <div> is possible?

Things I'm going to leave them as they are:

   1. Overall layout settings (column grid).
   2. Using the "card" ui-component as the standard content container.
   3. During my deeper look into AdminLTE I noticed that the Theme is quite
   good by using the same spacings, font-size, etc. at all viewports. I'll
   keep this.
   4. UX (user experience) of the side navigation.

Things I would like to adjust:

   1. I would like to go with the Material Icon Set from Google
   https://material.io/tools/icons/?style=baseline
   All icons are placed within a 24x24px (1:1 size) bounding box. Means
   that every icon has the same size. 24x24px is the default size I would like
   to use. I already saw in your screenshots that you resized the icon size.
   So I guess no problem here, right?
   2. Slightly different spacings within cards. I see you already did that
   in your first iteration. We are fine here?
   3. My best practice core rule to create ui-components is to use sizes
   and spacings which are dividable by 4px at least. 8px is preferred. So
   don't expect classical 5px steps from me. Those are outdated ;)
   4. Using another font. Probably with other sizes and line-heights.
   5. Other colors.

If you can give me a yes or no to each point would be great. Please feel
free to ask questions.

Besides all of that we could follow another approach. We keep AdminLTE as
it is. Just changing the colors (that it matches with the IPFire brand) and
build all pages by using the standard widgets, ui-components and modules
which are already predefined. After that we fine-tune things. Replacing
icons, font, adjust spacings, etc.

Furthermore I can do some research to find another free dashboard Bootstrap
theme which is based on Bootstrap 4 and closer to the size metrics I
prefer. AdminLTE is quite old. Perhaps there are good alternatives out
there. Did you already had a look, Rachid?

I'm sure that Michael has also a meaning about that and want to comment it
:)

Looking forward for your replies.

Best, Maurice