Pre-release announcement for IPFire 2.23- Core Update 131

Michael Tremer michael.tremer at ipfire.org
Thu May 9 10:26:18 BST 2019

Hello editors,

this is a pre-announcement email to all editors out there who write about
IPFire. We would like to let you know, that we are planning to release the next
IPFire release, IPFire 2.23 Core Update 131, next Thursday, May 16th, between
10:00 and 14:00 UTC.

We are sending you this announcement to give you some time to prepare a news
article about this new release of IPFire to help us make IPFire better-known and
of course to make our existing users aware of this exciting new update being
ready to be installed. We are very grateful for your support for our project!

The changelog can be found here:

 https://blog.ipfire.org/post/ipfire-2-23-core-update-131-is-available-for-testing

This release is a *major* release of IPFire. The newly introduced Intrusion Prevention
System is bringing the distribution to another level because of its enhanced capabilities
compared to its predecessor snort in combination with Guardian.

The new IPS is a lost faster, more accurate and therefore more secure and we think
that many users who have not been using the old IDS, will now use the new IPS.

Here is some documentation:

  https://wiki.ipfire.org/configuration/firewall/ips/start

In this release, we also updated our Linux kernel for better stability, hardware
support and security. We have also updated various software of the core distribution
to keep our users safe.

We are very excited about this release.

Please get in touch if you have any further questions.

We will send you the final announcement when the update is officially released.

Thank you very much for supporting our project!

Best regards,
-Michael