From: Stefan Schantl <stefan.schantl@ipfire.org>
To: Adolf Belka <adolf.belka@ipfire.org>,
"IPFire: Development-List" <development@lists.ipfire.org>
Cc: Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org>
Subject: Re: Unending item build
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2026 18:55:38 +0200 [thread overview]
Message-ID: <19ea8294710.27e7.cac9d3ffac9e24d09d20af05166fd73b@ipfire.org> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <92c47de1-a58e-4120-97b0-8b8f2b3014ee@ipfire.org>
[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2247 bytes --]
Hi @all,
I've also stumbled over this issue from time to time.
So let's give the fix a try.
Best regards,
-Stefan
Am 8. Juni 2026 18:14:30 schrieb Adolf Belka <adolf.belka@ipfire.org>:
> Hi Michael and Matthias,
>
> On 08/06/2026 16:09, Matthias Fischer wrote:
>> On 08.06.2026 16:03, Michael Tremer wrote:
>>> Hello Matthias,
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>>>> On 8 Jun 2026, at 12:58, Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi all,
>>>>
>>>> I'd like to warm up an old problem...perhaps I found something like a
>>>> solution.
>>>>
>>>> The original problem is rather old - it dates from 2025-01-15. It still
>>>> can be found here:
>>>> https://marc.info/?l=ipfire-development&m=173691503411708
>>>>
>>>> Once in a while I experienced the same problem like Jon - building
>>>> stopped suddenly: "./make.sh build goes into a loop and builds an item
>>>> forever." And it doesn't matter which item. Either the counter kept
>>>> running indefinitely, or it stopped displaying anything at all.
>>>>
>>>> That was pretty annoying. No errors, nothing in the logs. After stopping
>>>> the build with CTRL-C and restarting the whole build, usually everything
>>>> ran through and worked again as if nothing had happened.
>>>>
>>>> The last message often was just "make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/lfs'"
>>>> and that was all.
>>>>
>>>> Lastly I was thinking it might have something to do with counters.
>>>> So I changed "while sleep 1" to "while sleep 2" in 'make.sh'. Nothing more.
>>>>
>>>> Since then buildings are running without stopping anymore...
>>>>
>>>> Did anyone had similar problems?
>>> Very rarely. I think I have seen it before, but I cannot reproduce it at all.
>> Yep. It happens just now and then, you never know when and why...
>
> I also very occasionally get the same problem. I have also had it when
> doing a build on the IPFire aarch64 and riscv64 builder.
>>> I am happy to remove the timer entirely because it would be sufficient to
>>> see the build time after the package has finished building.
>> +1. You got my vote. The simpler, the better.
>>> Would anyone be opposed to that?
>> No. ;-)
>
> I have no problems with that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Adolf.
>> Best
>> Matthias
>
> --
> Sent from my laptop
[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 5302 bytes --]
next prev parent reply other threads:[~2026-06-08 16:55 UTC|newest]
Thread overview: 14+ messages / expand[flat|nested] mbox.gz Atom feed top
2026-06-08 11:58 Matthias Fischer
2026-06-08 14:03 ` Michael Tremer
2026-06-08 14:09 ` Matthias Fischer
2026-06-08 16:14 ` Adolf Belka
2026-06-08 16:55 ` Stefan Schantl [this message]
2026-06-09 17:47 ` Matthias Fischer
2026-06-09 18:24 ` Michael Tremer
2026-06-15 12:22 ` How to disable the item timer? (was: Re: Unending item build) Matthias Fischer
2026-06-16 10:58 ` Michael Tremer
2026-06-16 12:02 ` How to disable the item timer? Matthias Fischer
[not found] <CFF4CB57-76DE-4DEE-B326-7A9C4DB10167@ipfire.org>
2025-01-16 14:51 ` Unending item build Adolf Belka
[not found] <DB6F5ACC-3FDB-4D2D-A085-1196AC99DDEA@ipfire.org>
2025-01-15 15:57 ` Michael Tremer
[not found] <38F20545-1C4D-4215-989B-F5F3B36A414F@ipfire.org>
2025-01-15 15:20 ` Michael Tremer
[not found] <59D090B9-5E2E-4ED5-913C-16636CC46903@ipfire.org>
2025-01-15 11:17 ` Michael Tremer
Reply instructions:
You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:
* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
and reply-to-all from there: mbox
Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style
* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
switches of git-send-email(1):
git send-email \
--in-reply-to=19ea8294710.27e7.cac9d3ffac9e24d09d20af05166fd73b@ipfire.org \
--to=stefan.schantl@ipfire.org \
--cc=adolf.belka@ipfire.org \
--cc=development@lists.ipfire.org \
--cc=matthias.fischer@ipfire.org \
/path/to/YOUR_REPLY
https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html
* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
via mailto: links, try the mailto: link
Be sure your reply has a Subject: header at the top and a blank line
before the message body.
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox