public inbox for development@lists.ipfire.org
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: Michael Tremer <michael.tremer@ipfire.org>
To: Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org>
Cc: "IPFire: Development-List" <development@lists.ipfire.org>
Subject: Re: Core 203 - DNS firewall doesn't update (?) or add (!) - zone files
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2026 16:44:57 +0100	[thread overview]
Message-ID: <BA2F9738-DE5F-407D-B886-CF4C4D46FA58@ipfire.org> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <14b83a61-7167-4a10-aef5-7c909171f4aa@ipfire.org>

Hello Matthias,

You seem to have two problems why Knot Resolver did not come up.

The first one is this:

08:56:53 supervisord:  captured stdio output from kresd1[20077] (stderr): [system] config 'kresd1.conf' (workdir '/run/knot-resolver'): No such file or directory

The directory will be created in the updater and at boot time, so I suppose something went wrong here. Potentially a reboot would have fixed it.

The second one is this:

08:56:49 kresd[20066]:  [net   ] bind to '0.0.0.0@53' (UDP): Permission denied 
08:56:49 kresd[20066]: [system] error while loading config: error occurred here (config filename:lineno is at the bottom, if config is involved): stack traceback: 	[C]:  in function 'listen' 	kresd0.conf:123: in main chunk ERROR: net.listen() failed to bind (workdir '/run/knot-resolver’) 

Knot Resolver does not run as root and is therefore not allowed to bind to any of the privileged ports < 1024 to which 53 belongs. We solve this by giving the binary special capabilities which might have been lost when you extracted the tarball.

So I don’t think that this is general bug in Knot Resolver or IPFire, but just a slightly botched development system maybe?!

-Michael

> On 23 Jul 2026, at 22:17, Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org> wrote:
> 
> (2nd try - this didn't show up on the public inbox, so I removed the
> attachments)
> 
> ##########
> 
> On 23.07.2026 11:05, Michael Tremer wrote:
>> Hello Matthias,
> 
> Hi Michael,
> 
> sorry, this is a bit longer. ;-)
> 
>> What happens when you run "update-rpzs”?
> 
> Cursor went one line down...waited...and showed normal bash prompt
> again. No errors.
> 
> But something weird happened before - I had some problems, found a
> solution, but don't know what the solution was... ;-)
> 
> Steps to reproduce (perhaps?):
> - I built an update for 'knot-resolver v6.4.1' under Core 203 - this was
> built without any problem, I only had to deactivate the existing patch
> file. Hm.
> 
> - I stripped the files by hand and built an archive with the command:tar
> cvfz ../uploads/knot-resolver-6.4.1-for-ipfire-Core203.tar.gz -C
> build_x86_64 --files-from=config/rootfiles/common/knot-resolver
> 
> I'm doing this procedure all the time with all updated programs so I can
> install and test them on my testmachine or my productive machine,
> whatever comes first.
> 
> - In the next step I copied this resolver-archive to the root directory
> of my productive machine (sigh!), stopped the running 'knot-resolver'
> (at least I think this stops him) with '/etc/init.d/knot-resolver stop'
> and extracted the archive with the command:
> tar xvf knot-resolver-6.4.1-for-ipfire-Core203.tar.gz -C /
> 
> E.g., I did this the same way before I pushed the last 'knot
> 3.5.6'-update. No problem. Until the update for 'knot-resolver 6.4.1'.
> 
> Result:
> - Restarting the 'knot-resolver 6.4.1' failed, DNS was completely broken.
> And the 'Domain Name Sstem'-Log was filled with 'kresd' and
> 'knot_resolver.manager.server:' errors ("kresd[20064]: [system] error
> while loading config: error occurred here" or "Uncaught generic
> exception during manager inicialization").
> 
> Hm!
> 
> Since I had backups of all essential files of the previous version
> (6.4.0), I copied them back - with the same result. DNS stayed broken,
> no matter what I did. Old version, new version, nothing started, always
> the same crashes. I checked rights, I checked contents, rebooted, no
> chance. I don't know if I missed something - nothing worked.
> 
> Then today I copied a fresh built 'core-upgrade-2.29-203.ipfire' to
> '/opt/pakfire/tmp' and updated the whole system just like I did a few
> days ago through pakfire, only this time from console per './update.sh'
> and rebooted.
> 
> Suddenly DNS was running - and I could add the "Gambling" list (e.g.) to
> DNS-Firewall - it was downloaded and seems to work.
> 
> So now DNS is working (again) but I don't know why it was broken and I
> don't know what fixed it in the end... weird.
> 
> EDIT:
> If it helps I could open a bug report, explain the process and attach an
> excerpt of the dns log. ;-)
> 
> I don't like to push this update until I know what happened... ;-)
> 
> Best
> Matthias
> 
>> -Michael
>> 
>>> On 22 Jul 2026, at 14:02, Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Hi,
>>> 
>>> I have one problem with Core 203 and I'm not sure whats the culprit:
>>> 
>>> No matter what I do, Core 203 won't download additional zone files.
>>> 
>>> After rebooting I found the already used and activated blocklists (from
>>> Core 202) in the '/var/lib//knot-resolver/zones' dirextory. They're
>>> working - no seen problem. But even if I activate them all on the DNSBL
>>> page, nothing gets downloaded, the selection and number of block lists
>>> always remain the same. It won't add or remove any of the existing lists.
>>> 
>>> Can anyone confirm? OR give me a hint where to look at?
>>> 
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Matthias
>>> 
>>> 
>> 
>> 
> <Deleted: excerpt-from DNS log.txt><Deleted: knot-resolver-6.4.1-for-ipfire-Core203.tar.gz>



  reply	other threads:[~2026-07-24 15:45 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 8+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2026-07-22 13:02 Matthias Fischer
2026-07-22 13:28 ` Mentalic
2026-07-23  9:06   ` Michael Tremer
2026-07-23  9:05 ` Michael Tremer
2026-07-23 21:17   ` Matthias Fischer
2026-07-24 15:44     ` Michael Tremer [this message]
2026-07-24 18:34       ` Matthias Fischer
2026-07-25 16:38         ` Matthias Fischer

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=BA2F9738-DE5F-407D-B886-CF4C4D46FA58@ipfire.org \
    --to=michael.tremer@ipfire.org \
    --cc=development@lists.ipfire.org \
    --cc=matthias.fischer@ipfire.org \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link
Be sure your reply has a Subject: header at the top and a blank line before the message body.
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox