* Unending item build @ 2026-06-08 11:58 Matthias Fischer 2026-06-08 14:03 ` Michael Tremer 0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread From: Matthias Fischer @ 2026-06-08 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw) To: IPFire: Development-List Hi all, I'd like to warm up an old problem...perhaps I found something like a solution. The original problem is rather old - it dates from 2025-01-15. It still can be found here: https://marc.info/?l=ipfire-development&m=173691503411708 Once in a while I experienced the same problem like Jon - building stopped suddenly: "./make.sh build goes into a loop and builds an item forever." And it doesn't matter which item. Either the counter kept running indefinitely, or it stopped displaying anything at all. That was pretty annoying. No errors, nothing in the logs. After stopping the build with CTRL-C and restarting the whole build, usually everything ran through and worked again as if nothing had happened. The last message often was just "make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/lfs'" and that was all. Lastly I was thinking it might have something to do with counters. So I changed "while sleep 1" to "while sleep 2" in 'make.sh'. Nothing more. Since then buildings are running without stopping anymore... Did anyone had similar problems? Best Matthias ^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread
* Re: Unending item build 2026-06-08 11:58 Unending item build Matthias Fischer @ 2026-06-08 14:03 ` Michael Tremer 2026-06-08 14:09 ` Matthias Fischer 0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread From: Michael Tremer @ 2026-06-08 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw) To: Matthias Fischer; +Cc: IPFire: Development-List Hello Matthias, > On 8 Jun 2026, at 12:58, Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org> wrote: > > Hi all, > > I'd like to warm up an old problem...perhaps I found something like a > solution. > > The original problem is rather old - it dates from 2025-01-15. It still > can be found here: > https://marc.info/?l=ipfire-development&m=173691503411708 > > Once in a while I experienced the same problem like Jon - building > stopped suddenly: "./make.sh build goes into a loop and builds an item > forever." And it doesn't matter which item. Either the counter kept > running indefinitely, or it stopped displaying anything at all. > > That was pretty annoying. No errors, nothing in the logs. After stopping > the build with CTRL-C and restarting the whole build, usually everything > ran through and worked again as if nothing had happened. > > The last message often was just "make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/lfs'" > and that was all. > > Lastly I was thinking it might have something to do with counters. > So I changed "while sleep 1" to "while sleep 2" in 'make.sh'. Nothing more. > > Since then buildings are running without stopping anymore... > > Did anyone had similar problems? Very rarely. I think I have seen it before, but I cannot reproduce it at all. I am happy to remove the timer entirely because it would be sufficient to see the build time after the package has finished building. Would anyone be opposed to that? -Michael > Best > Matthias > > ^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread
* Re: Unending item build 2026-06-08 14:03 ` Michael Tremer @ 2026-06-08 14:09 ` Matthias Fischer 2026-06-08 16:14 ` Adolf Belka 0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread From: Matthias Fischer @ 2026-06-08 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw) To: development On 08.06.2026 16:03, Michael Tremer wrote: > Hello Matthias, Hi Michael, >> On 8 Jun 2026, at 12:58, Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org> wrote: >> >> Hi all, >> >> I'd like to warm up an old problem...perhaps I found something like a >> solution. >> >> The original problem is rather old - it dates from 2025-01-15. It still >> can be found here: >> https://marc.info/?l=ipfire-development&m=173691503411708 >> >> Once in a while I experienced the same problem like Jon - building >> stopped suddenly: "./make.sh build goes into a loop and builds an item >> forever." And it doesn't matter which item. Either the counter kept >> running indefinitely, or it stopped displaying anything at all. >> >> That was pretty annoying. No errors, nothing in the logs. After stopping >> the build with CTRL-C and restarting the whole build, usually everything >> ran through and worked again as if nothing had happened. >> >> The last message often was just "make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/lfs'" >> and that was all. >> >> Lastly I was thinking it might have something to do with counters. >> So I changed "while sleep 1" to "while sleep 2" in 'make.sh'. Nothing more. >> >> Since then buildings are running without stopping anymore... >> >> Did anyone had similar problems? > > Very rarely. I think I have seen it before, but I cannot reproduce it at all. Yep. It happens just now and then, you never know when and why... > I am happy to remove the timer entirely because it would be sufficient to see the build time after the package has finished building. +1. You got my vote. The simpler, the better. > Would anyone be opposed to that? No. ;-) Best Matthias ^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread
* Re: Unending item build 2026-06-08 14:09 ` Matthias Fischer @ 2026-06-08 16:14 ` Adolf Belka 2026-06-08 16:55 ` Stefan Schantl 0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread From: Adolf Belka @ 2026-06-08 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw) To: IPFire: Development-List; +Cc: Matthias Fischer Hi Michael and Matthias, On 08/06/2026 16:09, Matthias Fischer wrote: > On 08.06.2026 16:03, Michael Tremer wrote: >> Hello Matthias, > Hi Michael, > >>> On 8 Jun 2026, at 12:58, Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org> wrote: >>> >>> Hi all, >>> >>> I'd like to warm up an old problem...perhaps I found something like a >>> solution. >>> >>> The original problem is rather old - it dates from 2025-01-15. It still >>> can be found here: >>> https://marc.info/?l=ipfire-development&m=173691503411708 >>> >>> Once in a while I experienced the same problem like Jon - building >>> stopped suddenly: "./make.sh build goes into a loop and builds an item >>> forever." And it doesn't matter which item. Either the counter kept >>> running indefinitely, or it stopped displaying anything at all. >>> >>> That was pretty annoying. No errors, nothing in the logs. After stopping >>> the build with CTRL-C and restarting the whole build, usually everything >>> ran through and worked again as if nothing had happened. >>> >>> The last message often was just "make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/lfs'" >>> and that was all. >>> >>> Lastly I was thinking it might have something to do with counters. >>> So I changed "while sleep 1" to "while sleep 2" in 'make.sh'. Nothing more. >>> >>> Since then buildings are running without stopping anymore... >>> >>> Did anyone had similar problems? >> Very rarely. I think I have seen it before, but I cannot reproduce it at all. > Yep. It happens just now and then, you never know when and why... I also very occasionally get the same problem. I have also had it when doing a build on the IPFire aarch64 and riscv64 builder. >> I am happy to remove the timer entirely because it would be sufficient to see the build time after the package has finished building. > +1. You got my vote. The simpler, the better. >> Would anyone be opposed to that? > No. ;-) I have no problems with that. Regards, Adolf. > Best > Matthias > > -- Sent from my laptop ^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread
* Re: Unending item build 2026-06-08 16:14 ` Adolf Belka @ 2026-06-08 16:55 ` Stefan Schantl 2026-06-09 17:47 ` Matthias Fischer 0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread From: Stefan Schantl @ 2026-06-08 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw) To: Adolf Belka, IPFire: Development-List; +Cc: Matthias Fischer [-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2247 bytes --] Hi @all, I've also stumbled over this issue from time to time. So let's give the fix a try. Best regards, -Stefan Am 8. Juni 2026 18:14:30 schrieb Adolf Belka <adolf.belka@ipfire.org>: > Hi Michael and Matthias, > > On 08/06/2026 16:09, Matthias Fischer wrote: >> On 08.06.2026 16:03, Michael Tremer wrote: >>> Hello Matthias, >> Hi Michael, >> >>>> On 8 Jun 2026, at 12:58, Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org> wrote: >>>> >>>> Hi all, >>>> >>>> I'd like to warm up an old problem...perhaps I found something like a >>>> solution. >>>> >>>> The original problem is rather old - it dates from 2025-01-15. It still >>>> can be found here: >>>> https://marc.info/?l=ipfire-development&m=173691503411708 >>>> >>>> Once in a while I experienced the same problem like Jon - building >>>> stopped suddenly: "./make.sh build goes into a loop and builds an item >>>> forever." And it doesn't matter which item. Either the counter kept >>>> running indefinitely, or it stopped displaying anything at all. >>>> >>>> That was pretty annoying. No errors, nothing in the logs. After stopping >>>> the build with CTRL-C and restarting the whole build, usually everything >>>> ran through and worked again as if nothing had happened. >>>> >>>> The last message often was just "make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/lfs'" >>>> and that was all. >>>> >>>> Lastly I was thinking it might have something to do with counters. >>>> So I changed "while sleep 1" to "while sleep 2" in 'make.sh'. Nothing more. >>>> >>>> Since then buildings are running without stopping anymore... >>>> >>>> Did anyone had similar problems? >>> Very rarely. I think I have seen it before, but I cannot reproduce it at all. >> Yep. It happens just now and then, you never know when and why... > > I also very occasionally get the same problem. I have also had it when > doing a build on the IPFire aarch64 and riscv64 builder. >>> I am happy to remove the timer entirely because it would be sufficient to >>> see the build time after the package has finished building. >> +1. You got my vote. The simpler, the better. >>> Would anyone be opposed to that? >> No. ;-) > > I have no problems with that. > > Regards, > > Adolf. >> Best >> Matthias > > -- > Sent from my laptop [-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 5302 bytes --] ^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread
* Re: Unending item build 2026-06-08 16:55 ` Stefan Schantl @ 2026-06-09 17:47 ` Matthias Fischer 2026-06-09 18:24 ` Michael Tremer 0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread From: Matthias Fischer @ 2026-06-09 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw) To: development Hi all, Okay, I got my hopes up too soon — after about ten rounds with 'next' and several builds the build got stuck again today. This time it stopped while compiling a firmware update which needs about four seconds. Timer disappeared and nothing happens... So my 'sleep 2' fix looked good at first sight, worked for a few days, but didn't help, sorry. @Michael: How do I get rid of this d**** counter the fastest and easiest way...!? ;-) Best Matthias On 08.06.2026 18:55, Stefan Schantl wrote: > > Hi @all, > > I've also stumbled over this issue from time to time. > > So let's give the fix a try. > > Best regards, > > -Stefan > Am 8. Juni 2026 18:14:30 schrieb Adolf Belka <adolf.belka@ipfire.org>: > >> Hi Michael and Matthias, >> >> On 08/06/2026 16:09, Matthias Fischer wrote: >>> On 08.06.2026 16:03, Michael Tremer wrote: >>>> Hello Matthias, >>> Hi Michael, >>> >>>>> On 8 Jun 2026, at 12:58, Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org> wrote: >>>>> >>>>> Hi all, >>>>> >>>>> I'd like to warm up an old problem...perhaps I found something like a >>>>> solution. >>>>> >>>>> The original problem is rather old - it dates from 2025-01-15. It still >>>>> can be found here: >>>>> https://marc.info/?l=ipfire-development&m=173691503411708 >>>>> >>>>> Once in a while I experienced the same problem like Jon - building >>>>> stopped suddenly: "./make.sh build goes into a loop and builds an item >>>>> forever." And it doesn't matter which item. Either the counter kept >>>>> running indefinitely, or it stopped displaying anything at all. >>>>> >>>>> That was pretty annoying. No errors, nothing in the logs. After stopping >>>>> the build with CTRL-C and restarting the whole build, usually everything >>>>> ran through and worked again as if nothing had happened. >>>>> >>>>> The last message often was just "make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/lfs'" >>>>> and that was all. >>>>> >>>>> Lastly I was thinking it might have something to do with counters. >>>>> So I changed "while sleep 1" to "while sleep 2" in 'make.sh'. Nothing more. >>>>> >>>>> Since then buildings are running without stopping anymore... >>>>> >>>>> Did anyone had similar problems? >>>> Very rarely. I think I have seen it before, but I cannot reproduce it at all. >>> Yep. It happens just now and then, you never know when and why... >> >> I also very occasionally get the same problem. I have also had it when >> doing a build on the IPFire aarch64 and riscv64 builder. >>>> I am happy to remove the timer entirely because it would be sufficient to >>>> see the build time after the package has finished building. >>> +1. You got my vote. The simpler, the better. >>>> Would anyone be opposed to that? >>> No. ;-) >> >> I have no problems with that. >> >> Regards, >> >> Adolf. >>> Best >>> Matthias >> >> -- >> Sent from my laptop > > ^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread
* Re: Unending item build 2026-06-09 17:47 ` Matthias Fischer @ 2026-06-09 18:24 ` Michael Tremer 2026-06-15 12:22 ` How to disable the item timer? (was: Re: Unending item build) Matthias Fischer 0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread From: Michael Tremer @ 2026-06-09 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw) To: Matthias Fischer; +Cc: development Hello Matthias, You can run the build like this: ./make.sh build < /dev/null The script will then think that it is not talking to a console and just print the default output instead of the timer. Best, -Michael > On 9 Jun 2026, at 18:47, Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org> wrote: > > Hi all, > > Okay, I got my hopes up too soon — after about ten rounds with 'next' > and several builds the build got stuck again today. This time it stopped > while compiling a firmware update which needs about four seconds. Timer > disappeared and nothing happens... > > So my 'sleep 2' fix looked good at first sight, worked for a few days, > but didn't help, sorry. > > @Michael: > How do I get rid of this d**** counter the fastest and easiest way...!? ;-) > > Best > Matthias > > On 08.06.2026 18:55, Stefan Schantl wrote: >> >> Hi @all, >> >> I've also stumbled over this issue from time to time. >> >> So let's give the fix a try. >> >> Best regards, >> >> -Stefan >> Am 8. Juni 2026 18:14:30 schrieb Adolf Belka <adolf.belka@ipfire.org>: >> >>> Hi Michael and Matthias, >>> >>> On 08/06/2026 16:09, Matthias Fischer wrote: >>>> On 08.06.2026 16:03, Michael Tremer wrote: >>>>> Hello Matthias, >>>> Hi Michael, >>>> >>>>>> On 8 Jun 2026, at 12:58, Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org> wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>> Hi all, >>>>>> >>>>>> I'd like to warm up an old problem...perhaps I found something like a >>>>>> solution. >>>>>> >>>>>> The original problem is rather old - it dates from 2025-01-15. It still >>>>>> can be found here: >>>>>> https://marc.info/?l=ipfire-development&m=173691503411708 >>>>>> >>>>>> Once in a while I experienced the same problem like Jon - building >>>>>> stopped suddenly: "./make.sh build goes into a loop and builds an item >>>>>> forever." And it doesn't matter which item. Either the counter kept >>>>>> running indefinitely, or it stopped displaying anything at all. >>>>>> >>>>>> That was pretty annoying. No errors, nothing in the logs. After stopping >>>>>> the build with CTRL-C and restarting the whole build, usually everything >>>>>> ran through and worked again as if nothing had happened. >>>>>> >>>>>> The last message often was just "make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/lfs'" >>>>>> and that was all. >>>>>> >>>>>> Lastly I was thinking it might have something to do with counters. >>>>>> So I changed "while sleep 1" to "while sleep 2" in 'make.sh'. Nothing more. >>>>>> >>>>>> Since then buildings are running without stopping anymore... >>>>>> >>>>>> Did anyone had similar problems? >>>>> Very rarely. I think I have seen it before, but I cannot reproduce it at all. >>>> Yep. It happens just now and then, you never know when and why... >>> >>> I also very occasionally get the same problem. I have also had it when >>> doing a build on the IPFire aarch64 and riscv64 builder. >>>>> I am happy to remove the timer entirely because it would be sufficient to >>>>> see the build time after the package has finished building. >>>> +1. You got my vote. The simpler, the better. >>>>> Would anyone be opposed to that? >>>> No. ;-) >>> >>> I have no problems with that. >>> >>> Regards, >>> >>> Adolf. >>>> Best >>>> Matthias >>> >>> -- >>> Sent from my laptop >> >> > > ^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread
* How to disable the item timer? (was: Re: Unending item build) 2026-06-09 18:24 ` Michael Tremer @ 2026-06-15 12:22 ` Matthias Fischer 2026-06-16 10:58 ` Michael Tremer 0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread From: Matthias Fischer @ 2026-06-15 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw) To: development; +Cc: IPFire: Tremer, Michael [-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 701 bytes --] Hi Michael, On 09.06.2026 20:24, Michael Tremer wrote: > You can run the build like this: ./make.sh build < /dev/null > > The script will then think that it is not talking to a console and just print the default output instead of the timer. This worked for a while - today the system suddenly thinks that it needs *two* timers - on 'next'. Hm! One timer is always "0", the other is showing the build time of the current item. Both are not counting (see screenshot). Besides that, all is running, but... ;-) Is there a chance to disable these timers completely? The only one which I think is useful would be the buildtime of the whole build at the end. I don't need nothing more... Best Matthias [-- Attachment #2: 2026-06-15 - Timers on Devel 2.jpg --] [-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 69699 bytes --] ^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread
* Re: How to disable the item timer? (was: Re: Unending item build) 2026-06-15 12:22 ` How to disable the item timer? (was: Re: Unending item build) Matthias Fischer @ 2026-06-16 10:58 ` Michael Tremer 2026-06-16 12:02 ` How to disable the item timer? Matthias Fischer 0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread From: Michael Tremer @ 2026-06-16 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw) To: Matthias Fischer; +Cc: development Hello Matthias, This is very interesting. I have removed the timer completely from next, so if you are building against next, you shouldn’t run into any problems any more. https://git.ipfire.org/?p=ipfire-2.x.git;a=commitdiff;h=31d52aabde211aabb3ce376b87a0b397b3abe270 All the best, -Michael > On 15 Jun 2026, at 13:22, Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org> wrote: > > Hi Michael, > > On 09.06.2026 20:24, Michael Tremer wrote: >> You can run the build like this: ./make.sh build < /dev/null >> >> The script will then think that it is not talking to a console and just print the default output instead of the timer. > > This worked for a while - today the system suddenly thinks that it needs > *two* timers - on 'next'. Hm! > > One timer is always "0", the other is showing the build time of the > current item. Both are not counting (see screenshot). Besides that, all > is running, but... ;-) > > Is there a chance to disable these timers completely? The only one which > I think is useful would be the buildtime of the whole build at the end. > I don't need nothing more... > > Best > Matthias > <2026-06-15 - Timers on Devel 2.jpg> ^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread
* Re: How to disable the item timer? 2026-06-16 10:58 ` Michael Tremer @ 2026-06-16 12:02 ` Matthias Fischer 0 siblings, 0 replies; 10+ messages in thread From: Matthias Fischer @ 2026-06-16 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw) To: development; +Cc: IPFire: Tremer, Michael On 16.06.2026 12:58, Michael Tremer wrote: > Hello Matthias, > > This is very interesting. > > I have removed the timer completely from next, so if you are building against next, you shouldn’t run into any problems any more. Great - thanks! > https://git.ipfire.org/?p=ipfire-2.x.git;a=commitdiff;h=31d52aabde211aabb3ce376b87a0b397b3abe270 > > All the best, > -Michael > >> On 15 Jun 2026, at 13:22, Matthias Fischer <matthias.fischer@ipfire.org> wrote: >> >> Hi Michael, >> >> On 09.06.2026 20:24, Michael Tremer wrote: >>> You can run the build like this: ./make.sh build < /dev/null >>> >>> The script will then think that it is not talking to a console and just print the default output instead of the timer. >> >> This worked for a while - today the system suddenly thinks that it needs >> *two* timers - on 'next'. Hm! >> >> One timer is always "0", the other is showing the build time of the >> current item. Both are not counting (see screenshot). Besides that, all >> is running, but... ;-) >> >> Is there a chance to disable these timers completely? The only one which >> I think is useful would be the buildtime of the whole build at the end. >> I don't need nothing more... >> >> Best >> Matthias >> <2026-06-15 - Timers on Devel 2.jpg> > > ^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread
end of thread, other threads:[~2026-06-16 12:02 UTC | newest] Thread overview: 10+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed) -- links below jump to the message on this page -- 2026-06-08 11:58 Unending item build Matthias Fischer 2026-06-08 14:03 ` Michael Tremer 2026-06-08 14:09 ` Matthias Fischer 2026-06-08 16:14 ` Adolf Belka 2026-06-08 16:55 ` Stefan Schantl 2026-06-09 17:47 ` Matthias Fischer 2026-06-09 18:24 ` Michael Tremer 2026-06-15 12:22 ` How to disable the item timer? (was: Re: Unending item build) Matthias Fischer 2026-06-16 10:58 ` Michael Tremer 2026-06-16 12:02 ` How to disable the item timer? Matthias Fischer
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox